The School Newspaper of Desert Vista High School

DVHS Thunder Media

DVHS Thunder Media

DVHS Thunder Media

Traditions New and Old

One of the most crucial aspects in the development of a productive community is tradition. Whether you’re talking about ancient civilizations or extended family holidays, traditions are what keep us consistent and connected. Here at DV, the 2023-2024 school year is presenting  us with exciting examples of both old traditions uncovering themselves and new traditions making their shining debut. 

This year, our student council has made the decision to express our fondness for our seniors in a fresh and creative way: painting parking spots. The idea was initiated by the student body and agreed upon by our student council. What’s a better send-off than the ability to individualize your parking spot and express yourself in a new way? As Sophomore class spirit director Priya Hale states, “Our aim was to make the seniors feel just as special as we made them feel last year.” This new tradition gives room for extra amounts of creativity and identity regarding our senior’s last year of high school. If you see an exceptionally decorated parking spot, don’t forget to give your kudos!

The expression “out with the old and in with the new” doesn’t always apply; along with our freshly introduced school-wide tradition, the student body has worked with the student council to bring back a retired, but loved, experience: the Beach Bash, which took place on Friday, August 4th, from 6:00 to 9:30 PM. On the soccer fields past H building, students participated in what is essentially a summer carnival. A glow foam party was held, accompanied by a variety of water games and sweet summer treats. Alongside the function, a spirit week from Wednesday to Friday was also in place: tropical on Wednesday, Barbinheimer on Thursday, and DV spiritwear on Friday! With funding collected from the student body and hours of set-up from the student council, Hale encouraged students to attend with a promise of exceptional fun and a unique goodbye to summer!

Our environment here at DV heavily relies on the power of tradition and habit, which has proved itself many times. Participating in these events will help grow our school spirit, so consider indulging in what our student body and student council has to offer!